“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” Dumbledore says this in the third Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Adults in this series often talk in metaphors, especially Dumbledore, but I think this quote is the clearest of many mixed phrases Albus Dumbledore says. Happiness can always be found, author J.K Rowling says through Dumbledore, if one knows how to look for it, even when one is in their darkest hour. I relate to this quote in more way then one.

My great grandma passed away one and a half years ago, and I didn’t know her as well as I’d liked to. I only found out after she died that she had been a child and young adult in World War ll, and we’re Jewish so she had a really difficult early life. She lived to almost 102, but died in her sleep. I heard about this on Tuesday night and went to her funeral on Thursday morning. It was the first and only funeral I had ever been to. I felt so mortified at the idea of death in somebody I’d known, but I had to turn on the light in that dark time, and appreciate the time I had gotten to spend with her.